Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve

Hi--

Does anyone have NY Eve traditions? 

Steele and I share a special meal at home.  We split a bottle of bubbly (I prefer Tosti Asti Spumante) and have an assortment of cheeses, meats, crackers, condiments and sweets, usually fancy chocolates. 

I thought next year we might do a "dips" meal, as I was inspired by January's Southern Living which had recipes for several mouth-watering dips.  Blue Cheese "Hot Wing" dip served with crunchy veges and chicken tenders, with wing sauce on the side.  I'd use packaged hot wings instead of the tenders and not use any wing sauce.  Loaded Baked Potato Dip served with crisy baked waffle fries.  Muffuletta Dip, a reminder of when we lived in Louisiana, served with French bread crostini.  Sausage, Bean and Spinach Dip served with corn chip scoops.

We had our special NY Eve meal last evening, as I am working tonight.  The Children's Center pays me holiday pay, not like my previous employer.  I resigned when they decided that per diem employees would have to work holidays and NOT get holiday pay.  TCC does not require me to work any holidays at all, though I usually try to work 4 of the 6.  I've spent plenty of Christmases and Thanksgivings celebrating with co-workers and patients, none of whom wanted to be there.  Guess which holidays I try not to work.  So, weekend and night differentials plus holiday pay and regular pay.  Unfortunately, in our tax bracket, I still won't see too much more on my paycheck.  We will probably have a potluck tonight, so I am taking a bag of candy.  If no potluck, will share candy.  Nurses and ancillary healthcare workers never refuse candy.

For our NY Eve meal we had a great view out our dinette picture window, overlooking our backyard.  Best of all, no neighbors, no cars, no pedestrians.  Didn't have to pay for ambiance, could play music (jazz) that we liked, no noisy diners.  Doesn't get much better than that.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

Genie

No comments:

Post a Comment